Here at Techweez, we are obsessed with consumer privacy. We’ve already written articles to help you protect your privacy and stay secure on multiple social platforms and sites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Google, Microsoft, Apple, LinkedIn, Yahoo and Amazon.
TikTok has updated its privacy settings especially with a focus on teens and minors. Here are some of the settings you should enable to protect your privacy and help you stay secure on the platform.
Make Your TikTok account Private
This is one of the first things you should do. Making your account private means that people have to request you to follow you which ensures you vet your followers. When you post videos to your page, only your followers can view and comment on them.
Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Enable the Private Account toggle
Don’t Allow Other People To Find You
By default, TikTok will suggest your account to others. But you can change that so that other people don’t find you.
Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Suggest Your Account to Others > Disable all the toggles provided
Don’t Sync Your Contacts and Facebook Friends
TikTok syncs your contacts so that you can easily find people you know on the app. You need to disable this feature.
Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Sync contacts and Fcaebook Friends > Disable all the toggles provided
Disable Ad Authorization
TikTok may want advertisers to use your videos for ads. This might be a good thing if you want to go viral but if you love staying private, then you’ll need to disable this feature.
Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability >Ad Authorization > Disable all the toggles provided
Other Safety features:
- You can turn turn off downloads for your videos: Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Downloads > Disable the toggle
- You can choose who comments on your videos – either select friends(followers that you follow back), followers or no one. You can also enable choose seval coment filters between Filter all comments, Filter spam and offensive comments and Filter keywords: Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Comments
- Choose who can see your following list: You can choose whether to publicly show your following list between Followers and Only Me. Selecting Only Me will let other users only see mutual friends: Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Following List
- Duet/Stitch: You can control who can duet or stitch your videos using the options – Followers, Friends or Only Me. Toggle the Only Me option: Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Safety > Duet/Stitch
- Liked Videos: You can choose who can watch your liked videos – Followers or Only Me. Toggle the Only Me option: Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Safety > Liked Videos
- Direcr Messages: You can control who can send you direct messages – Everyone, Friends, No One. You can choose Friends: Profile > Settings > Privacy > Dicoverability > Safety > Direct Messages
Use a Strong Password
It’s time to stop using dumb passwords.
You can create a strong password that has a minimum of 12 characters, includes numbers, symbols, capital letters, lower-case letters, isn’t a dictionary word or combination of dictionary words plus doesn’t rely on obvious substitutions.
It’s has been made easier by password generators free on the internet such as strongpasswordgenerator.com and passwordgenerator.net. What I usually do is after they have generated one for me, I go ahead and modify it to make it easy to remember.
Password managers also create for you strong passwords. LastPass has a tool for that and you don’t have to create an account with them. Dashlane too, although you’ll have to create an account with them.
These tools will not only create a strong password for you, but they can also manage the passwords for you for different accounts so that you don’t have to use the same password for your other accounts.
Some browsers like Chrome also do handle password management too for not only current accounts but also new accounts. It even has password checker that is a service that examines a user’s saved passwords if they have been compromised in any way.
Another way is through the Passphrase/Diceware method. This method suggests choosing 6 or more random words and joining them together to create a passphrase which then becomes your password.
Profile > Settings >Manage Account > Password > Change Old Password to a more Strong Password
TikTok offers SMS 2FA where you add your number so that when you log in to your account, a code is sent and you use it as a token to verify your account.
Simply head to Profile > Settings > Security and Login > Enable 2-step verification
Save these changes when you’re done.
SMS based 2FA isn’t the safest though. Companies can use your phone number for ad targetting purposes such as Facebook and Twitter. Also, sim swaps can occur without your knowledge leaving you vulnerable.
Despite this, it is the easiest to set up and is more adaptable for most users. TikTok also allows you to set up an email that they can send a verification code to when you log in to your account.
Enable Restricted Mode for Children
If you are a parent whose child is has a TikTok account, then you’ll need to enable this feature. This mode stops inappropriate content from appearing on your child’s for you page. you can add a passcode so that the setting is not disabled by the child.
Profile > Settings > Security and Privacy > Digital Wellbeing > Restricted Mode
Enable Family Safety Tools
TikTok allows you as a parent to have remote access to your child’s TikTok account. Once your account is paired with theirs, you can control their screen time, limit the content they can view, manage their privacy and safety settings and choose whether your child can have a private or public account.
Profile > Settings > Security and Privacy > Family Pairing
Enabling these security protections will ensure your TikTok account is safe and makes it difficult for hackers to gain access to your account plus also making your experience on the platform worthwhile.
Articles in this stream
Here’s how to protect your privacy and stay secure on: