Efficient tech systems are an invaluable asset to businesses of all sizes in the 21st century. They are also considered an essential tool for non-profit organisations and government agencies. Whether you are in charge of a commercial IT or public sector system, creating a strategy that provides a path to greater efficiency should be at the top of your to-do list.
Building highly efficient tech systems
There are a number of key steps that can be taken to improve tech systems in private and public organisations, the most important of which are listed below.
- Draft a comprehensive employee user agreement — Many inefficiencies and security risks arise not from outdated equipment or outside threats but from the actions of the employees who use tech systems on a daily basis. By making it clear which activities are acceptable and which are not, you can significantly reduce security risks and make meaningful efficiency improvements without spending any money on new hardware or software.
- Create a detailed IT plan for the future — You cannot hope to build highly efficient IT systems for your organisation if you do not have a clear idea of exactly what you are trying to achieve and what measures you will take to reach your goal.
- Migrate some or all of your IT systems to the Cloud — With a well-managed cloud migration strategy, it is possible to make major improvements in all areas. Security, scalability, availability and flexibility are just some of the key benefits that cloud service providers in Australia have to offer their customers. Organisations that are required to store a large amount of data should consider moving it to a cloud environment to take advantage of the automated backup facilities and superior disaster recovery tools.
- Set up an IT training programme — By building on the skill sets of your developers, engineers and administrators, your organisation can maximise the return on its investment in new technologies and tech systems. Developing in-house expertise is one of the best ways to make efficiency improvements in the long term and is an investment in your staff as well. You may still require the help of outside specialists on occasion but the more knowledgeable your own team is, the more likely it is that your organisation will be able to take full advantage of the technologies and tools it acquires.
- Implement a robust incident management strategy — A well-organised and highly responsive incident management team can make a huge difference to the overall efficiency of your tech systems. The faster and more effectively your organisation can address any problems that it encounters with its IT systems, the less downtime it will experience.
Whilst all of the above steps can lead to significant efficiency improvements, migrating to the Cloud is possibly the most important step you can take. This is because a capable cloud platform will lighten the load that your maintenance engineers have to deal with, facilitate the implementation of efficient disaster recovery procedures and provide a scalable framework for the future.