Today, Uber Kenya is celebrating its 3rd anniversary since its maiden entry to the Kenyan taxi market. The last 3 years has been quite eventful and we have seen other players join the ride share market as well as Uber expanding to other cities in the country.
Thanks to their celebration of their 3rd anniversary in Kenya, Uber has decided to share several statistics about the use of their product in the country.
- Kenyans have taken enough trips to go 203 trips to the moon and back. A trip t the moon is around 386,000 kilometres, so you can judge the scale of the number of trips taken.
- Uber has 5000 driver partners in Nairobi
- 74 different nationalities have used Uber in Nairobi
- On 11th May 2016, Uber celebrated their 1 million trip milestone in Nairobi
- During the UberChoma promotion, Uber was able to deliver 300 Nyama Choma meals on demand in Nairobi thanks to a partnership with Roast by Carnivore.
- They have 3 products since the launch of the service in Kenya: UberX, UberSELECT and UberCHAPCHAP. UberCHAPCHAP is the new service released recently where they want people to skip the hassle of walking and taking an Uber instead. They have a base fare of Kshs 80, per kilometre charge of Kshs 16 and per minute charge of Kshs 4.
- Interestingly, the top destination in Nairobi is Aga Khan University Hospital and K1 Klub House registered the highest number of night out trips in Nairobi.
Some of the statistics are quite revealing. Example, the number of nationalities that have used Uber show how diverse Nairobi and the fact that Aga Khan Hospital and K1 Klub House being top destinations show that Nairobians use Uber for emergencies or for a night out. The successful UberChoma promotion means that Nairobi will probably have UberEats in the future.