October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month and Google has shared some tips to keep you safe online which is has become important in our daily lives.
The theme for this year’s cybersecurity awareness month was “Do Your Part #BeCyberSmart” which empowers people to own their role in protecting their part in cyberspace.
“We have intensified efforts to raise awareness about internet insecurities and empower audiences with tools and resources to help them stay safe online — particularly kids because they are the most vulnerable” says Agnes Gathaiya, Google Country Director for Kenya.
“I am thrilled to announce the launch of How to be Safe Online, a story book for kids. Kids are now exposed to more screen time as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The book is our labour of the need to protect kids from online risks — now more than ever”.
In keeping with this theme, Google has offered 10 safety tips that you can use when you are online.
- Always have up-to-date software across your desktop, mobile operating system and web browser
- Use a password manager which will create unique and strong passwords
- Be wary of requests for personal information to avoid phishing attempts.
- Enable 2 step verification.
- Set up a security key for extra protection. This is a physical device that inserts into a USB port to a computer or connects wirelessly to your phone.
- In case you lose your phone, you can remotely locate or lock it using “find a lost device” under your Google account
- Activists or political leaders who are at most risk of targeted attacks should enroll for Google’s Advanced Protection Program.
- Always download your apps from a source you trust.
- Browse on secure networks. Be careful when using public or free Wi-Fi
- Use Google’s Security Checkup that analyses your Google Account security status and provides you with guidance to address issues found.
thanks for sharing these tips! really helpful. But we want our data to be kept safe even without making extra effort.
Comments are closed.