How to Replace Lost or Damaged KCPE and KCSE Certificates Online, and Cost


It could be water damage. Or a fire accident. Or good old property loss.

Basically, there are many ways you can lose your physical credentials, including school certificates that people spend a fair share of their lives acquiring.

And when that happens, you would want to replace them.

In the Kenya context, the most affected documents are high school and college certificates. The documents come in handy when applying for work because employers want to know why they might potentially hire and whether they are academically competent to serve the advertised position. This is why folks securely store their certificates, but as said, accidents do happen.

So, what if you want to have them replaced? Well, we will try to help you through the whole exercise. However, this procedure is for KCPE and KCSCE certificates (primary and high school diplomas). The process is also the same, with minor variations, for those who may need to replace lost certificates offered by the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC).


  1. Applicants are required to applu online via the Query Management Information System (QMIS). The platform allows them to request for examinations results certification letter. QMIS can be accessed from here Note: you MUST prove that the document was destroyed or lost before applying for the letter.
  2. Attach the following documents to the replacement form: A. copy of your certificate/results slip (there are high chances you have a copy somewhere). Results eslips are applicable for all exams except CPE and KCPE up to 2012. KCPE results slips from 2013 printed from the KNEC website are acceptable, B. letter of completion/recommendation letter from your school by your head teacher, or from the County Education Officer or SCDE for private schools/schools that have been closed down, addressed to the CEO, KNEC C. sworn legal affidavit, D. police abstract certifying the loss of your certificate, E. national ID/passport or birth certificate for those under 18 years of age, E. one colour passport size photo.
  3. Note, the name on the ID or birth certificate must be the same as that used during the sitting of the exams.
  4. In case you changed your name, make sure you have attached the legal documents stating so.
  5. The replacement cost is KES 5220. This can be paid via MPESA. The system generates and sends a uniqu pay bil number to the applicant, indicating the amount to be paid after the documents have been verified by KNEC. Note: Bank deposits are not allowed.
  6. Submit the documents online as part of the application process.

Then wait for 15 working days from the date of submission. You can pick your new certificate from KNEC then. It goes without saying that you should bring your original ID with you.


Just go to the KNEC website and register as a candidate to use the Query Management Information System (QMIS) tool. The tool should visualize your application progress.


Comments are closed.