In the last few hours we have seen the Google Play Edition devices like the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4 receive the JWR66Y security update, just a little over a month and a few days since they received the Android 4.3 update. It seems those two devices and their Nexus cousins are in line to receive one other update soon before the rest of us get an invite to the chocolate bar party. Going by recent reports, October 14th is the chosen date for Android 4.4, KitKat, to debut.A render of the LG Nexus 5 from a Reddit user. The Nexus 5 will come with KitKat on-board.
There isn’t much expected in the new Android update being as it is that Android is very stable and can do with just a change of the base, a kernel upgrade as usual and several few add-ons to make the experience even better. The most noted components of the update include:
- Firmware availability to older phones – Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and the like
- Fragmentation changes (screen resizing)
- Miracast updates
- New Gallery Visualisation
- New APIs regarding animations
- Change Android default blue to other preset palette colours – more customization!
- New notification widgets
Beyond that there isn’t much that we know yet other than that we will first see KitKat running on the Nexus 5.