Kenyans paying taxes via mobile money must from today only use the official government PayBill. Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) has officially announced. “Taxpayers are further advised to use the Payment Registration Number (PRN) or the Ref. Number on the Payment Slips generated from KRA Business Systems: iTax, ICMS, EGMS, and KESRA IStudent as the account number when making tax payment” added KRA.
In June, President William Ruto ordered the closure of all existing non-designated government PayBill Numbers and a transition to a single payment platform. The directive to all ministries was to migrate to the newly designated PayBill Number, 222222.
According to the President, the migration is part of the government’s efforts to finally onboard all government services onto e-Citizen. He said the plan would ensure e-Citizen remains the Digital Payments Platform while 222222 becomes the sole PayBill payment platform.
The deadline for this transition was set to Tuesday, August 8, 2023. However, some government agencies including KRA had delayed their migration. Not surprising, KRA’s announcement comes shortly after the heads of 17 agencies were summoned to explain their failure to comply with the president’s orders. Evidently, the tax authority has been forced to toe the line.
How to Pay Taxes Via Government PayBill
- Open the Mobile Money Menu or App
- Input the PayBill Number 222222.
- Input the Payment Registration Number (PRN) as the account number.
- Input the specified amount corresponding to the PRN.
- Enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN) and initiate the transaction.
Alternatively, you can dial the official government USSD Code.
- Dial *222# on your mobile device.
- Opt for the “Pay KRA bill” selection.
- Input the Electronic Slip (PRN) number.
- Choose M-Pesa as the payment method.
- Input your M-Pesa PIN and follow through with the remaining steps.