Live sports is one of the biggest reasons why people use their sister platform (DStv) so it made sense to carry that feature forward to Showmax.
In September, Showmax introduced live streaming in Kenya. It included 13 live matches from popular leagues like the English Premier League, Italy’s Serie A, Spain’s La Liga and the Euro 2020 qualifiers. They also added magazine shows and highlight clips from all the major events.
Well in October, they are turning things up a notch. Showmax will now add both live and pre-recorded content to its lineup. The new sports content includes selected events from top international football leagues, motorsport tennis golf, athletics and extreme fighting championship (EFC).
This month, Showmax has scheduled two marathons and 13 football matches between today and the end of the month. This includes content from the English Premier League, Serie A, La Liga and the Euro 2020 qualifiers. This includes:
- 15 Oct UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifiers: Switzerland vs Republic of Ireland
- 18 Oct La Liga: Granada vs Osasuna
- 19 Oct Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur vs Watford
- 19 Oct La Liga: Mallorca vs Real Madrid
- 20 Oct Amsterdam Marathon
- 20 Oct Serie A: Sampdoria vs Roma
- 20 Oct Serie A: Parma vs Genoa
- 21 Oct Premier League: Sheffield United vs Arsenal
- 25 Oct La Liga: Villarreal vs Alaves
- 26 Oct Serie A: Inter Milan vs Parma
- 26 Oct West Ham United vs Sheffield United
- 27 Oct Frankfurt Marathon
- 27 Oct La Liga Celta Vigo vs Real Sociedad
- 27 Oct Serie A: Torino vs Cagliari
- 27 Oct Premier League: Norwich Vs Manchester United
The new content also adds extended highlights from major events and popular magazine shows. The shows include Africa Sport On, Soccer Africa, What a Weekend, First XV, Inside Edge, Extra Cover, Final Whistle and EFC Insider.
Adding sports related content on Showmax was a brilliant idea and one that can potentially set it apart from the crowd of video on demand sites. Live sports are very popular around the world and this is the sort of engagement that would benefit both Showmax and its customers.