Twitter has been dancing with the verification process for the longest time now. It has been the most intense on and off relationship; scrapping and relaunching verification for different reasons each time. The latest, was twitter suspending the whole process at the end of May indefinitely. Well, if indefinitely means up to the 9th July 2021.
The Twitter Verified account has confirmed the reopening of the verification process for yet another time, although it is currently limited to a few accounts. This is a move towards regulating the number of accounts that are actively seeking the blue badge.
“We know some of you are still waiting for the option to apply. We’re still rolling out access to keep up with the volume of applications we’re getting. It should be rolled out to everyone soon! Patience isn’t part of the criteria, but we appreciate yours,” Twitter clarified.
Twitter accounts rejected in attempts for verification are normally given 30 days to attempt the process again. According to the organization, many of these rejected users have felt the need to receive an explanation on why exactly they did not make the cut.
Here is the checklist of items they say you should have intact before submitting your application.
- For any company/brand/organization and those applying as an activist/influential individual, your follower count must be in the top .05% of active accounts located in the same geographic region.
- If you’re using a website to verify your authenticity, it must be the website for a Verified organization. The website must also reference your name and Twitter account.
- In the application, journalists must link to their specific about page/bio, or to articles that reference them on the news org’s official site. Independent or freelance journalists must provide links to 3 articles in Verified publications in the 6 months before applying.
- Additionally, for Journalists,
- Your Twitter profile must reference the news org you’re affiliated with and link to its official website
- The news org(s) you reference must be a notable and verified organization
Twitter says it will include more guidelines relevant to your category in your application. Once eligible for verification, users can apply by going to their Settings > Request Verification.