The government had closed Huduma Centre GPO following the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. The stations, which were introduced during the first tenure of Kenyatta’s Presidency have been instrumental in deploying public services such as birth certificate applications to people in a seamless manner. At the moment, there are 55 Huduma Centres – 5 of them in Nairobi, and the rest distributed across other counties.
Now, the Ministry of Public Service and Gender says that the GPO station will be opened from today (Monday 17). However, service will be different this time around following one key introduction: an appointment system.
The appointment means that Kenyans in the city are requested to book a date before seeking the services of the GPO Centre.
According to the Ministry, the system will help minimize human traffic and time spent on services.
We first saw this kind of an arrangement with the Immigration Ministry after a booking system was introduced for Kenyans seeking to apply for passports one year ago.
Service by appoint system will for the time being used at GPO. However, the rest of the other Huduma Centres will be served with the technology in the coming days.
A few things to note: you do not need an appointment to be served in other 4 Huduma Centres in the City – only the GPO station is calling out for the public to be aware of this development; you also do not need a booking to be served in other Centres across the country.
How to book an appointment
Booking a date at the GPO Centre is straightforward.
- Go to hudumakenya.go.ke from your device
- Select Book Appointment from the hamburger menu
- You will be prompted to enter your credentials (ID as username and password)
- If you do not have an account, you can create one in under a minute.
- The system will then send you an activation code.
- Log in and continue to do a booking. Other fields will be populated, so you only need to select a service like DL application and selecting a service centre (this case, it is GPO).
- Save the appointment and print the document.