Its another Era, you can tell by the air in the smartphones world. The barrier to entry for a reliable smartphones have been lowered yet again. Samsung Galaxy Pocket was launched earlier today with a Kes 10,000 unsubsidized price. This is simply to mean that by Samsung selling the device at this price, they still have some margin for themselves, unlike the case of the Huawei Ideos last year that was subsidized by almost half.
What does the Galaxy Pocket have for you?
This phone is one of the best phones you can get at this price point. I think I can comfortably say that if you were budgeting to buy a feature phone for anything above Kes 5,000 just try to fill in that gap and get this one, trust me on this. With the specifications well listed here on a previous blog post I will list what this device has that would make it a best seller. I will try to be brief as possible since this is not the review.
- Price: At Kes 10,000 you wont get a device on Android 2.3 which gives a user more streamlined user experience and a wider range of apps.
- Storage: This is a first again, an Android device coming with 3GB internal memory, this is quite a plus and you can have very many apps installed on. Remember, users buying memory cards happens very rarely, so we are usually very happy when we hear that a device can do upto 32GB in external storage, while more than 90% of users dont actually buy additional memory, hands up if you do.
- Memory: 832MHz is more than sufficient for a device of this standards, with the 2.8 inch screen the memory requirements are not high.
- Samsung Dive: Samsung Dive is a web server that you sign into with your Samsung Apps account and it can help you track your device remotely. And with this, you can remotely track and deactivate your device in-case of a theft or loss.
- Pocket Music App: This is an app that is available for the Samsung Galaxy Pocket and gives you access to African music for free
- Android Version: Rarely do you find Android devices at this price point packing Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Add the Samsung trademark UI customization called TouchWiz and you get a killer combination.
That was a very nice move by Samsung to actually give the Galaxy Pocket to University Students to test the device and tell of their experience with it first hand. That’s part of their target market.
And like I said, the cat’s out of the bag, I have some exclusive info about something that’s going to happen very soon for those interested in purchasing the Galaxy Pocket. It’s nolonger exclusive. Here’s the catch, just leave a comment and I will email you the details immediately, this could mean you having an edge over others. You can still comment and tell me anything you think of the Galaxy Pocket and the BOGOF campaign by Samsung.
Image Credit: Michael Khateli blog
And here is the full list of shops where you can buy Galaxy Pocket and get a second one free today from 11am to 2pm.
NAIROBI – 1. SAFARITEL, MAMA NGINA STREET 2. FONE EXPRESS HAILE SAELASSIE
3. MAKARIM, HILTON ARCARDE 4. FONE EXPRESS,NAKUMATT GALLERIA
5. SAFARICOM, BURU BURU 6. SAFARICOM, EASTLEIGH 7. SAFARICOM,NAKUMAT MEGA
8. AIRTEL,SARIT CENTRE 9. AIRTEL,KOINANGE STREET
KISUMU – 1. KENSHOP,OGINGA ODINGA, 2. FONE EXPRESS,NYANZA NAKUMATT
3. SAFARICOM JUBILEE – OGINGA ODINGA
ELDORET – 1. DHAVAL EMPORIUM, UGANDA ROAD 2. SAFARICOM OGINGA ODINGA
MOMBASA – 1. JV SHAH,HOSPITAL STREET 2. FONE EXPRESS, NAKUMATT NYALI
3. SAFARICOM,REX – MOI AVENUE 4. AIRTEL, MOI AVENUE