Samsung will be releasing a new device in the Kenyan market that will be in Safaricom shops starting tomorrow. The Samsung Galaxy S3 Lite is likely an answer to the increasing number of budget smartphones in the Kenyan market thanks to the likes of Tecno and others. Samsung’s last serious offering at the price range the S3 Lite will debut at is the Galaxy Music. Before it we had the Galaxy Pocket which did quite well and is still to be spotted everywhere you go in this country.
The Galaxy S3 Lite will have the following features/specs:
- Size: 113.2 x 61.6 x 11.9 mm
- 3.5 inch HVGA LCD display
- 3 megapixel camera
- Single core processor clocked at 850 MHz
- 4 GB internal storage
- 512 MB RAM
- 50 GB free Dropbox storage
- It will run on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with Samsung’s TouchWiz overlay that will include add-ons like Chat-ON and the expanded notification shade that we first saw on the Galaxy S4
- 1300 mAh battery
- Others: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct and Bluetooth 4.0 (with LE)
The Galaxy S3 Lite will be retailing at Kshs 10,999 from tomorrow in all Safaricom retail centres. Safaricom is also offering 1.5 GB free data bundle to buyers of this device.
We’ve not heard about the Galaxy S3 Lite showing up in other markets yet so this could be a market first. No, this is not the Galaxy S3 mini, its something with similar looks, a touch of the same software but stepped down specs and far more affordable than the S3 mini (read the S3 mini’s review here).
[UPDATE] Read the unboxing and first look preview of the Galaxy S 3 Lite here.