One of the greatest value-add features for smartphones is the ability to keep track of your appointments via an integrated calendar., including keeping track of the national holiday calendars. While Android uses with Google accounts have the Kenyan holidays automatically added to their calendar, Windows Phone users (i.e. Lumia devices) are not that fortunate. However there are two ways to accomplish this:
- Via your PC: This is the fastest way to import the Kenyan Holiday calendar, but requires you to be on your PC.
- Via your Smartphone: Though more convenient, using your smartphone will require you import every event into your calendar sequentially.
Using Your PC
1. Copy the the link below to subscribe to the Kenyan Holiday calendar provided by the OfficeHolidays.com website.
2. Log into your Outlook.com account via your favorite browser, then go to the Calendar view. Click on the “Import” option.
3. Select the “Subscribe” option. Paste the calendar link into the “Calendar URL” field, name the calendar appropriately and final choose a charm and color that suits your style. Press subscribe and the calendar events will be added to your Microsoft account.
4. Go into the settings section of the Calendar app on your Lumia and turn on the recently added calendar. the events will then show on your phone.
Using Your Smartphone
1. You will need to download the “iCal” app from the Windows Phone app store. This app will allow to import any “ical” 0r “ics” formatted calendar events into your Outlook calendar with just a click. NOTE: Click on logo to download the app, or scan the QR code with your Lumia Phone.
2. Click on the link below to subscribe to the Kenyan Holiday calendar provided by the OfficeHolidays.com website. Once the link is on your phone, press “open” and it will open the iCal app. NOTE: If you are opening the iCal app for the first time, you will need to skip through several tutorial screens.
3. When the iCal app has opened, it will automatically load all the events associated with the ics file. Press the icon to select all events, then press the save icon. You can then save the event to your preferred account.
NOTE: You will have to save every event separately.
This method of adding events to your calendar can be used for adding any iCS supported calendars: