Back in 2011 Samsung released one of its best ever mid-sized tablets, the Galaxy Tab 7.7. Unlike many other Galaxy Tabs before it and many others after it, it stood out for just one reason: it had a Super AMOLED display. The P6800 and its many variants have been something like legendary for core Samsung fans since there’s been nothing like it. If you do frequent Samsung forums then you’ll know for a fact that calls for a follow up to the Tab 7.7 have been there for the last two years. That was till early today (or yesterday in other time zones) when Samsung made official its worst kept secret, the Galaxy Tab S, at an event in New York.
Coming in two size variants and rocking a Super AMOLED display just like the Tab 7.7, the Tab S only varies in resolution and display. Like its name suggested, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 had a 7.7 inch 800 x 1280 pixels display. On the other hand, the new Galaxy Tab S is available in 8.4 inch and 10.5 inch variants at a super high QWXGA resolution (2560 x 1600).
The Galaxy Tab S is in my opinion the most beautiful Galaxy Tab we’ve ever seen from Samsung. Yes even those NotePRO and TabPROs we saw earlier on have to play second fiddle to it.
As expected, Samsung is bundling a lot of what we’ve seen in the Galaxy S5 into this new tablet line. The Tab S becomes the first tablet to include a fingerprint scanner. The said scanner will have all the functionality of the Galaxy S5’s scanner including PayPal integration and others. There are also newer features like SideSync which we’ve seen before and which comes in handy as you don’t need to always have your phone with you in order to answer calls or get other things done. Support for Samsung’s Gear smartwatches is also built in.
Main specs of the Galaxy Tab S are as follows:
- Display: 8.4″/10.5″ 2560 x 1600 pixels (WQXGA) Super AMOLED
- Processor: Exynos 5 Octa (1.9 GHz QuadCore ＋ 1.3 GHz Quadcore) or Quadcore Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.3 GHz in select markets (mostly for the LTE variants)
- Memory: 16 GB or 32 GB internal storage expandable upto 128 GB/ 3GB RAM
- Camera: 8MP with LED Flash at the back /2.1MP (Full HD video recording support) front
- OS: Android 4.4.2
- Battery: 4900 mAh/7900 mAh
- Others: [Connectivity] WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO, WiFi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0, IrLED [Network] 2G, 3G, LTE supported
See below video released by Samsung introducing the new tablets