Google on Tuesday released 2014 Youtube Rewind, a report showing which videos were the most watched, for Kenya. In the report there are two categories, Youtube’s most watched videos of 2014 and Youtube’s most watched music videos. Most of these would be expected as they have either passed your way or were being discussed on social and other media.
Music warranted the only other category in Youtube Rewind report outside of the top ten overall and it had Sauti Sol scoring highly. The number 1 music video is by Sauti Sol, the controversial Nishike Music video that was quite rrotic. Willy Paul scored second with Tam Tam remix. At third it was Sauti Sol with Sura Yako Music video. Elani was fourth with quite famous Kookoo, one song that has Kenyan men watching the moves and curves that these girls possess.
Jaguar was in at 5th with Kioo, Bahati at 6th with Barua, Elani struck it 7th with Milele and Sanaipei was also on the list with another erotic video, Mfalme wa mapenzi. Kitanzi by Willy Paul and Gloria Muliro was 9th with Victoria Kimani closing the list at ten with Prokoto.
Most watched video is an Advert.
One interesting thing that should worry TV and other mainstream media is that the most watched Youtube video in Kenya is an advert. This is Open Your Eyes Kenya, an advert by Safaricom Foundation which was a CSR activity aimed at empowering 300,000 visually impaired Kenyans. Although this was quite promoted both on Youtube and off Youtube via Google Ads, it gos to say online media is getting inroads quite strongly in advertising. This is 1.3 million views of actual watches and you realize that this is actually measured compared to the hazy figures by TV, radio and print.
Cocacola had a shot at number 2 with FIFA anthem – The world is Ours, Cocacola was also third with Cocacola fans United. Out of the top ten, 5 are adverts that were promoted while the other five were self-driven viral content. This would mean that Makri Ya Injili, an investigative TV episode about a certain Pastor Kanyari was the most organic viral video of all with Larry Madowo’s interview of socialite Vera Sidika coming second. In third place comes My Bukusu daling, a story about an Asian lady who defies parents to marry a Bukusu tribe man. Kenyan First lady would be fourth with a video of her running into president Kenyatta’s arms after a first ladies’ race.
See the two lists below.
Top 10 videos
- Open Your Eyes Kenya
- The World is Ours (Africa version): Coca-Cola’s 2014 FIFA World Cup™ Anthem
- Coca-Cola Fans United
- Makri ya Injili
- Barclays Africa | What does to Prosper mean to you? #ProsperAfrica
- #theTrend: Socialite Vera Sidika’s new look
- Airtel TRACE Star
- My Bukusu Darling: Asian lady defies parents and strict traditions for love found in a Bukusu man
- First lady runs into Uhuru’s arms
- Mwanaharakati asimulia yaliyotendeka Raila akiwa ng’ambo
Top 10 music videos
- Sauti Sol – NISHIKE (TOUCH ME) Official Music Video
- Willy Paul feat. Size 8 – Tam Tam Remix (Official Video)(@willypaulbongo)
- Sauti Sol – SURA YAKO Official LIPALA Dance Instructional Video feat. Sarakasi Dancers
- Elani – Kookoo [@elanimuziki]
- Jaguar Kioo (Official Video) Main Switch
- Bahati – Barua (Official Video)
- Elani – Milele [@elanimuziki]
- Mfalme Wa Mapenzi -Sanaipei OFFICIAL ULTRA HD VIDEO
- Kitanzi – Willy Paul & Gloria Muliro [GloriaMuliroTV]
- Victoria Kimani – Prokoto (Official Video) ft. Ommy Dimpoz, Diamond Platnumz