Samsung has today launched the Galaxy Gear in the Asian giant, India. The device was launched together with the three smartwatches of 2014, the Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit. Samsung launched these devices in the sidelines of Mobile World Congress in late February and has plans to make them available in 150 countries starting April 11th.
Here in Kenya we already have pre-orders from several vendors with varying prices and offers. The offers range from Galaxy S5 only, to data offers and Gear Fit bundling in other offers. The local launch date is the 11th of April and the devices will start trickling in to the hands of consumers slightly later on.
Below are the main specifications of the Galaxy S5:
- 5.1-inch full HD (1920×1080 pixels… 432 ppi) Super AMOLED display
- 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 processor. An Exynos variant may exist for certain markets.
- 2GB RAM, 16GB / 32GB internal memory, expandable up to 64GB with microSD
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat with a refresh of Samsung’s custom TouchWiz UI
- 16 megapixel camera at the back with LED Flash, BSI and supporting 4K video recording at 30 fps and 1080p video recording at 60 fps; a 2.1 megapixel shooter that can record video at 1080p sits on the front of the device
- IP67 certified for dust and water resistance.
- Infrared LED for smart TV remote using Samsung’s built-in WatchON application
- S Health 3.0 and a Heart rate sensor at the back of the device
- Fingerprint scanner
- HSPA+, 4G LTE-A, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2X2 MIMO), Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS, USB 3.0 and NFC
- 2800 mAh Battery
The Galaxy S5 will sell at a price range of Rs 51,000(Kshs 73, 600) to 53,000 (Kshs 76,500) and the Gear 2 will retail at Rs 21,900 (Kshs 31,600) while both Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit share the price of Rs. 15,900 (Kshs 23,000).
Read our coverage of the Galaxy S5 here.