Back in 2013 at the Consumer Electronics Show, Samsung showcased its Youm flexible displays. They were of different types and we never really got to hear much about them save for rumour after rumour. First, word went round that we would see an implementation of that flexible display tech in the Galaxy S4. That came and passed. Then the Galaxy Note 3. That too passed. The S5 also proved those sources wrong. The Note 4 however has a different story to tell. It has a cousin with a special type of flexible display. Not flexible in the sense that you can move it around but because it has already been moved 🙂 The screen wraps around one edge of the device to showcase more content.
As you can tell, the Note Edge is every bit the Galaxy Note 4 save for that wrap-around bit and some minor spec alterations like the display size and the battery capacity. Also, the curved bit of the screen functions like an independent screen, the apps and notifications that appear there do so like it’s a separate screen. Samsung also demonstrated how the Note Edge would show notifications on the curved edge while covered in a flip cover. The screen also becomes extra screen real estate when recording videos and taking photos in that the curved area hosts the shutter during image taking.
Here are the specs of the device:
- Size & weight: 151.3 x 82.4 x 8.3mm, 174g
- Display: 5.6 inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED (2560 x 1440)
- Processor: 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Snapdragon 805 with an Adreno 420 GPU
- Memory: 32/64 GB internal storage expandable upto 64 GB via microSD/ 3 GB RAM
- Camera: 16 MP main camera (with Smart OIS)/ 3.7 MP front-facing camera
- OS: Android 4.4.4 (with TouchWiz, of course)
- Battery: 3000 mAh
- Network: 2.5G [(GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz], 3G [(HSPA＋ 42Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz], 4G [(LTE Cat 4 150/50Mbps) or 4G (LTE Cat 6 300/50Mbps)]
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (HT80) MIMO PCIe GPS / GLONASS , NFC, Bluetooth 4.1 (BLE,ANT+), IR LED (Remote Control), USB2.0, MHL 3.0
- Additional features: Edge screen UX : Revolving Interaction, Immersive apps(Camera, Video, S Note),
Ticker board, Express me, Quick Tools, Night Clock, S Health v3.5, Ultra-Power Saving Mode, Multi-window, Download Booster, traditional S Pen features (like Note 4)
- Colours: Charcoal Black and Frost White