Kenya-based EdTech company Eneza Education has been awarded GLOMO’s (Global Mobile Awards) Best Mobile Innovation for Education Award for their Shupavu291 service in partnership with Safaricom. Shupavu291 is a mobile Short Messaging Service (SMS) study tool accessed through USSD *291#. The platform enables Primary and Secondary school learners to access Kenya National Curriculum aligned lessons and live chat with a teacher.
Announcing Eneza’s win, GLOMO Awards judges said, “A remarkably accessible innovation with broad reach, this affordable service is proving that effective mobile services can have a hugely positive impact on education levels.”
However, that’s not the only highlight from the GLOMO Awards by GSMA at MWC 2018. Huawei has bagged a total of 8 awards under different categories including:
- Best Mobile Network Infrastructure – for Huawei 5G Ready Ultra-Wide Band (UWB) Radio Family
- Best Mobile Technology Breakthrough – for Huawei 5G Ready CloudAIR Solution
- Best Network Software Breakthrough – for Huawei 5G Core solution: Service Oriented Core (SOC)
- Outstanding Mobile Technology Award – Huawei for 5G Ready CloudAIR Solution
- Best Mobile Innovation for Smart Cities – for Huawei NB-IoT Smart City Solution
- Best Mobile Innovation for Emerging Markets – for RuralStar Connectivity Solution
- The Green Mobile Award – for Zero-Footprint TubeStar Solution
- Outstanding Contribution to the Mobile Industry – for significant contribution to the development of the industry and the advancement of mobile communications
If you have been overwhelmed by Huawei’s dominance at the GLOMO Awards, well, here’s a break – not for you Android user, the iPhone X is officially the best smartphone of 2017. That’s not all, the iPhone X also got Apple a Disruptive Device Innovation Award thanks to the notch everyone seems not to like. No, it’s not the notch itself that got the award but the underlying sensors, in particular, the TrueDepth Camera that enables facial recognition.
Other interesting awards include the Best Mobile Innovation for Payment that went to Samsung for their Samsung Pay solution and Kabam for Transformers: Forged to Fight (a game I have never heard of) that won the Best Mobile Game. To view all the 2018 GLOMO Awards winners head over here.