Samsung hinted to us of plans to expand the number of device options in its budget Galaxy J series not long ago. The said devices were to be availed because of the good reception the Galaxy J1 got. Some of the devices in that series include the Galaxy J5 we just reviewed and its bigger sibling, the Galaxy J7, which we’ll be going hands-on with in a few days. Since the release of the Galaxy J5 and Galaxy J7, Samsung has gone ahead to unveil the Galaxy J1 Ace in the Indian market as both a successor of the Galaxy J1 and its response to the growing number of low-cost devices in that market from rivals. It’s latest effort is another device that also flaunts its J family roots by sticking with the J1 design, the Galaxy J2.
The Samsung Galaxy J2, like the J1, is a budget 4G smartphone. Specifications are as follows:
- Size: 136.5 x 69 x 8.4mm
- Display: 4.7-inch (960 x 540 Pixels) qHD Super AMOLED
- Processor: 1.3 GHz quad-core Exynos 3475
- Memory: 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- Operating System: Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- Camera: 5 MP auto-focus rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, 720p HD video recording; 2MP front-facing camera, f/2.4 aperture
- Network & Connectivity: 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS
- Battery: 2000mAh
- Others: 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio, Dual SIM (micro)
Since it is being launched in a budget-conscious market and is meant for use on fast mobile networks thanks to its 4G capability, Samsung has built-in an “Ultra Data Saving Mode” in the device. The Ultra Data Saving Mode, powered by Opera through the Opera Max application (you can get it in the Play Store) will, when turned on, block certain applications from consuming mobile data hence saving the users from incurring extra data costs when they don’t need to.
The Galaxy J2 goes for INR 8,490 or about Ksh 13,500 in Kenya as per current exchange rates. While the Galaxy J1 Ace is yet to be available in the Kenyan market despite us being told it would be available, we expect the Galaxy J2 to show up soon.