I am liking the entry level smartphone wars as it stands. With yesterday’s launch of the Galaxy Pocket, Orange later in the evening announced the Huawei Gaga, or the Huawei X1, or the Ideos U8180, whichever name you associate with best. Huawei Gaga is priced at well low than the Galaxy Pocket, this being Kshs. 8,799 and some date goodies added to it.
This is a 3G phone with the below main specs:
- Android 2.2 Froyo
- 2.8 inch TFT Capacitive touchscreen with a 240 x 320 pixels display
- 512MB internal storage with 32GB microSD support
- 256MB RAM
- 528MHz processor
- 104 x 56 x 13 mm dimentions
- 100g in weight
- 3G and 2G network support with HSDPA of 7.2Mbps
- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Bluetooth version 2.1
- 3.15MP fixed focus camera, no flash Video @24fps QVGA
- Runs on Qualcomm Chipset (MSM7225)
- 1200mAh Li-Ion battery giving 336hours standby or 4hours talktime
So according to Orange, the target consumers are middle income earners and availability is at all Orange shops in the country. It will be available with a one month unlimited internet connection on activation. Mikael Ghossein says that affordability of smartphones is critical to pushing the country’s internet penetration beyond current 8% rate. Like I noted a time back, power to the consumer!
What do you think about Huawei Gaga?