Chipmaker MediaTek has been having a good period in terms of market presence and sales. It prides itself as the leading chip provider in the world, considering its silicons are found in all devices in the world, save for Apple, effectively making lead others in terms of market share. It produces more than 2 billion chips per year and plans to even up this trend in the coming times.
Over the last couple of months, it has been solidifying its ground in the 5G space. The Dimensity line of chipsets was launched specifically for this purpose, and they have evolved to become some of the most sought-after 5G chips because they do not cost as high as rivals. It is for this reason that you can find a 5G device for less than KES 30,000 in Kenya, some of which are powered by the affordable Dimensity 700 series.
Today, the company has revealed that its Dimensity 9000 chip will be available in the Kenyan market. The chip will be powering the next wave of flagship phones. It is an interesting one because it is built on the 4nm process, meaning it is more efficient in terms of power consumption while offering superior performance than predecessors.
Features of the Dimensity 9000
- MediaTek Imagiq 790: The chipset’s flagship 18-bit HDR-ISP. The world’s first to support 320MP on smartphones, and the world’s first to support simultaneous triple camera 18-bit HDR video recording. The powerful 9Gpixel/s ISP also supports 4K HDR Video + AI noise reduction that enables the highest quality results even in extreme low-light conditions.
- Leading 3GPP Release-16 5G Modem: The integrated 5G modem amplifies sub-6GHz performance up to 7Gbps downlink using 3CC Carrier Aggregation (300MHz). It also features the world’s first R16 UL enhancement and continues MediaTek’s dual SIM leadership with new 5G/4G Dual SIM Dual Active (DSDA) support. The modem also integrates the new MediaTek 5G UltraSave 2.0 power-saving enhancement suite for improved efficiency.
- MediaTek MiraVision 790: The chipset can support the latest 144Hz WQHD+ displays or 180Hz Full HD+ displays while optimizing power efficiency with MediaTek’s Intelligent Display Sync 2.0 technology. Furthermore, MediaTek’s latest Wi-Fi Display technology can support up to 4K60 HDR10+ video.
- Wi-Fi 6E, New GNSS with Beidou III-B1C, and New Bluetooth 5.3: Smartphone users can enjoy seamless connectivity thanks to the chipset’s support for the latest Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GNSS standards.
- Dimensity 5G Open Resource Architecture: The Dimensity 9000 allows the world’s leading smartphone device makers to create customized flagship 5G smartphones that stand out.
MediaTek also recently launched the flagship MediaTek Dimensity 9200, one of the latest in the MediaTek Dimensity series offering extreme performance and intelligent power efficiency, and support for mmWave 5G and sub-6GHz connectivity to consumers globally.
However, the 9200 is not commercially available for now, but we will be seeing it in devices in 2023.
The aforementioned 9000 is already powering devices such as the TECNO Phantom X2 and X2 Pro. We have the Pro variant in the house, and we are putting it through its paces for a later review.
“The MediaTek Dimensity 9000 is a milestone for MediaTek, highlighting our rise to incredible with a true flagship 5G smartphone chip. This chip signals MediaTek and our Dimensity family have entered a new phase of innovation,” said Rami Osman, Director, Corporate Sales and Marketing MEA, MediaTek. “The MediaTek Dimensity 9000 is one of the most powerful and energy-efficient chip, delivering a number of industry firsts and a full suite of features for the most discerning tech enthusiasts.”