YouTube is on a roll this year. Early this year they started testing showing channel previews in the comments section. When 2019 started, YouTube considered changing the limit for offline video quality, brought YouTube Premium and YouTube Music to South Africa(First African country), started hiding subscriber counts form the public, rolled out Topic Filters on the Homepage, revamped the Up Next Screen and made YouTube Originals free.
YouTube also started rethinking how it counts views after a recent controversy and decided to only include views from organic plays when ranking 24-hour record-breaking music videos, they revised its verification process which upset a lot of creators, begun testing new UI and revamped the homepage to include longer video titles and larger thumbnails.
In the subscription tab, YouTube is bringing a new carousel with six topics and an additional shortcut for Settings.
- All: Displays all videos from the channels you subscribe to from latest to oldest
- Today: Displays videos that were published within the past 24 hours
- Continue Watching: Displays that you started watching but didn’t finish
- Unwatched: Displays all videos you haven’t yet watched
- Live: Displays Livestream videos and YouTube Premium
- Posts: Displays no videos, only Community posts from channels you’re subscribed to.
When YouTube was testing this feature, they found out that the Subscriptions filters “encouraged more subscribers to come to their subs feed daily to look for new updates.”
These features are currently rolling out on the iOS app and will in the future come to Android.